Friday, November 27, 2009

A trip to the Emergency Room & My Birthday

I scheduled a study day on Monday so I had this whole week off. I was very excited to have a nice RELAXING week filled with many hours in my jammies. Leave it to kids to throw off a good plan. Monday afternoon Jaxon walks up to me in the sweetest voice yet a little nervous and says, "Mom, a battery is in my tummy. It was an accident" "WHAT??????" He had been playing with a small Christmas toy and took out the battery (a little thicker than a typical hearing aid battery) and put in his mouth and from there apparently swallowed it. So, we frantically called a friend to watch the other two where we could take him into the emergency room since he swallowed it 10 minutes after his doctor's office closed. Really, you could not have accidentally swallowed it 20 minutes earlier. Well, if we are going that route let's say could you have put the battery in your mouth at all! We went to the emergency room and waited and waited......and waited some more. Let me tell you I have never felt like I live in Arkansas more than I did sitting in the emergency room with the individual's that was keeping us company. The doctor was very nice and informed us that his daughter had swallowed 2 pennies and it required emergency surgery. Then he looked up and said, "Don't worry he won't need surgery. We were sent off to xrays and I didn't even need the training to see it. There it was in the location of his stomach. This meant he was in the safe zone and we just had to wait for it to pass. Believe me he owes me and Shawn big time for this task. We asked why would you put the battery in your mouth he said, "....I don't know....." Kids you got to love them! It was a great opportunity to talk to him about good choices and bad choices. Even though it was an accident it was a bad choice to put the battery in his mouth......
The next day was my birthday. I had a great day with my family. We spent the day together and had a very nice dinner at On the Border. I ended the day going to the movies with a friend I refuse to mention which one in the grounds of incriminating myself. One of the best surprises of the day were beautiful flowers. David & Katie sent them to me. She managed to find Shawn's work number the day before and found out my favorite flower and colors. This thoughtful gesture was the perfect way to start out my birthday!
As mentioned before in a post David was my step dad when I was little. We lost touch and reconnected through facebook. They call me every other week and want to know all about my little family. They even let Ashlin talk their ears off. This is more parental involvement than I have had in quite some time. It is such a nice feeling to have this relationship.
So despite the rocky start it really was a great birthday. A special thank you to my family and friends and all of the birthday wishes sent my way. I truly felt loved. I hope everyone gets that opportunity to feel that way on their birthday!

No comments: