Wednesday, June 22, 2011

That's All I Wanted!




The trio have been taking swimming lessons at Hendrix. This is their second and final week. We really like the swim lessons and they have all learned so much. I am not a great swimmer so I really want them to feel comfortable in the pool.
They each have very different personalities and you can definitely see it with their approach to swimming. Ashlin listens carefully and takes off. Jeron half listens but just enjoys being in the water and constantly has a big smile on his face. Jaxon is very quiet and does everything the teacher asks. Jaxon is our most rambunctious child but at the same time our most fearful child. The last few days have been difficult for him. He has the skills now to be more independent but still does not want the teacher to let go. She is great. She is very firm makes him do it and then she will praise him and hold him. Today, she was having him swim on his own and he was sobbing as soon as she got to the side she picked him up and said, "That's all I wanted." This phrase particularly stuck with me and I thought to myself how many times has Heavenly Father said that to us. We cling on to something that prevents our further progression and then we step out just for a moment and the blessings pour in and He says, "That's all I wanted."
As Jaxon has struggled this week and cried it is my natural reaction to want to go to him and comfort him but I can't if I want him to learn to swim (Shawn holds me back even if I attempt to go to him ;). I need to support his teacher and give him all the support I can outside of the pool. Swimming is a life skill that I feel strongly he needs to learn for safety reasons. He has to do this for himself. Our earthly journey is much the same. Heavenly Father sits on the side lines cheers us along but for our benefit he can't make us do the things necessary for us to return him. I have thought about this quite a bit this week. I am grateful for these moments in life that allows us to reflect on important principles. I hope that as I am struggling in life I can think about these small lessons Jaxon is learning this week. That I will think what I am suppose to learn from this time in my life and I will strive to do right things that I can hear Heavenly Father say to me, "That's all I wanted!"


4 comments:

Janae' said...

Boy they are getting so big!

Our Happy Family said...

Loved this post!

Anonymous said...

Aww Cute

Andi said...

I loved this Veda. So well said, brought tears to my eyes thinking of having to sit by and watch Lilli struggle. It has to be the hardest part of being a parent, just sitting back. Definitely gives you an eternal perspective.